La vie est faite de petits bonheurs…

18 October 2012

The last of the lavender....



© petit pica
The weather is definitely getting more autumnal now, chilly early mornings and evenings. So this weekend I decided it was high time I harvested that last of the lavender. To me, this signals summer is finally over; time to tidy up the garden ready for winter. I have to admit, I have put it off this year as I’m not particularly looking forward to the cold weather. We had an unusually cold winter last year so I’m hoping that this year will be milder.

Today is a very overcast, rainy day, ideal for keeping cosy in the house and stripping the lavender. Collecting the lavender is a job I really enjoy; it’s like an aromatherapy session. The perfume that comes from the basket is heavenly, and when I strip the steams, it can be quite heady. The oil seeps into hands so I can smell it for ages afterwards. It is time consuming and, as Kelly is away at the moment, I had to tackle the task alone. Not that I'm complaining, it's quite therapeutic.

© petit pica






















The vintage lavender tin was a present from my daughter M, found at a vide grenier. For those that don’t know, these are a bit like car boot or yard sales. I love it’s design and kaleidoscope of colours. The Pip Studio plate was a present from Kelly. It’s normally on display in the Petit Pica attic but it proved ideal for pouring the lavender buds into the tin.

Of course, after all that “hard” work, a reward is needed - a cup of tea and macaroons. There were three of each but I couldn't resist eating one on the way back form the shop!  I LOVE these but I did limit myself to only two. As Kelly wasn't here to help me eat them, M finished them off when she came home from school.

© petit pica
We are very fortunate to have a patisserie/ chocolaterie shop in our local village. They make amazing cakes and chocolates. These macaroons are so crumbly on the outside and gooey inside. Really yummy! They have so many interesting flavours to choose from. Today I chose framboise/rose (raspberry/rose) and cassis/violet (blackcurrant/violet), my current favourites.

And what is this lavender for? It will be used in some items for the shop but you will have to wait a little while for the reveal.

À bientôt,


No comments:

Post a Comment

♥ Thank you so much for leaving a comment, we love hearing from you......♥